SO I have a few questions about blogging that I don't have answers for, and I probably won't find these enigmatic solutions anytime soon, because I don't think there are easy answers for them.
I wonder whether this whole blog world and other online communication resources actually serve to bring people together or not, OVERALL. Yes, one can meet a lot of new people, and that is connecting. I know plenty of couples, successful legit ones, that were introduced in chat rooms etc. But for people who are alREADY friends... I dunno. Yes, I love being able to scan through and check a bunch of my friends blogs and be instantly kept abreast of their news/thoughts at my convenience and daily, if so desired. I could never PHONE or visit all these people every day, week, or every month even, nevermind time restrictions, I don't think ANY of them are even in this province. So yes, there is a vote for connection.
BUT, I have ALSO seen it, where I stop talking to some people because I am left with little curiosity about them after having gotten all the news from the blog, and we might go a long time without TALKing anymore. That would qualify as disconnection in my book, since I would hold person to person contact in higher regard (maybe wrongly, I dunno) than online faux-contact.
I wonder if people do less in-person visiting with the advent of these other resources. I know tv made a dent in that too, so as not to appear an imbalanced vilifier :P I know most families here sit at home, not communicating, not visiting among themselves or other households, just watching tv all night. Most older people are glued to the tv, and most young people are glued to the computer (look at me throwing stones while typing in a glass house)... and what has that impacted in our characters? How are we different people by not having to face each other in the eye? I would argue that deceit, and any other form of sin, is easier when you are not facing the person eye to eye. One feels a false sense of anonymity and boldness. I say false because NOTHING is hidden from God, including what you type or view on your computer when 'nobody' is looking at 3am. So I wonder if as a society of loner computer engagers, our feeling of secret freedoms is higher than it was pre-techno industry. Are these perceived liberties that we feel greater than if/when we were face to face with a real person, living a more REAL life, seeing the person's real response, a wince if you stab, laughter at your humour, tears at injury?
On an entirely different note!
There is a short 30 second video I'd like everyone to watch. It is from the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. I recommend it!
http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/home_films_evolution_v2.swf
2 comments:
That's a gr8 film, jenni.
I totally agree. I always say how do you know you're not really chatting to a chain smoking monkey on the other end of the line???
With friends I'll take my chances (I'm sure it is them--at least on blogs), with strangers, you never know. Dun, dun dunnnnn.
Post a Comment