You may have heard, there is a problem with hunger and starvation in many places in the world.
Well, I am embarrassed to admit: it's my fault.
I am 5 feet tall and I weigh 110 lbs. However, in the global rationing of foodstuffs, I eat both my portion and Ethiopia's. I kid not. It is really sad. I was reminded of this a few days ago when I went to have supper at a friend's house and while still trying to be diplomatic she commented casually on my consumption. ''Wow.. you are good to eat.. heh *awkward forced chuckle*,'' as I cleaned my plate, and Anna's and her daughter's. A shameful display.
I am reminded of a comment I received from the waitress at a truck stop once. Chris and I stopped at this same truck stop when we were still dating, 2 Saturday nights in a row. The first night I ate effortlessly and completely cleaned a full pot roast meal with rolls, salad and finished off dessert and coffee afterward. The following week I only had maybe a side salad and water, and didn't finish the hot chocolate. When she came to clear the plates she asked, ''Are you done?''
''Oh yes, thanks,'' I inattentively replied.
''Really?'' came her response, ''Cause I remember you from last week, and for a little one, you sure can put it away!''
Chris of course buckled laughing. My reputation precedes me. Great.
All my years growing up it was commonly accepted and referred to among my family and close friends that I had a hollow leg. That was the only psysiological answer they found for, ''where does she put it?''
People would refer to that Purina commercial years ago about how small dogs eat twice their weight or something, a bunch more than big dogs, and likening me of course to the small dog, that the same principle must be at work in my situation.
And it hasn't changed in adulthood. It has been excused for the last four-ish years under the clauses of pregnant and breastfeeding, but really we all know that it was no different before, and it likely won't be after weaning. My dinner plates raise the eyebrows of any unsuspecting visitor, and not because the pattern is striking: one would need GPS to locate the pattern under the mountain of food.
So Africa, India: sorry.
4 comments:
Oh, Jenni, this post is FANTASTIC. It makes me feel better about my own level of food consumption. Because I am a good eater as well, I guess I never noticed, during those meals we shared, that you ate any more than seemed reasonable.
I know where you are putting it. You are sending it over here, via the internet, to ME! Stop that! I can also eat enough to feed a small developing country, but sadly, I look like it. And I have often said that I look like someone else is eating for me, too. All this time, it's been you. LOL
It was fun to catch up a bit with you via the link provided through your comments on Martha's blog. (I also enjoyed seeing Judy's artwork from the link you provided here). I'd love to hear something you've written and recorded when/if you have time.—blessings, bill t.
High Fives for my fellow midwestern gal! Love this post and maybe it's my own bottomless pit that caused me to never notice yours (he,he,he). Take care!
Post a Comment